Community Foundations provide a unique service for donors by enabling them to create their own charitable Fund which can direct the giving of a family, business or trust towards vital local projects. We currently have 87 Funds across Surrey, who between them awarded over 300 grants in 2018/19, totalling £1.4 million. We are immensely grateful to all of our donors who have helped us achieve £10 million in grant awards since we established!
To celebrate this achievement, our Director of Philanthropy, Joe Crome, sets out 10 reasons that donors should consider working with us.
- Bespoke donor service – we work closely with you to channel your giving to ensure it makes the biggest impact locally, helping you make meaningful connections with causes you are passionate about, including seeing the impact of your giving through end of grant reports and arranging visits to groups that you have supported.
- Local expertise – our knowledge and passion for Surrey helps you fund community projects doing incredible work below the radar. Our team has decades of experience within Surrey’s voluntary sector, allowing you to benefit from our experience.
- Join with other like-minded people – by becoming part of the Community Foundation for Surrey family, you have the opportunity to partner with our other funds to make joint awards to projects you wish to support, helping your money go further.
- Building long-term sustainable community resources – we can invest your donations as an endowment to generate ongoing income to award grants in perpetuity.
- Due diligence and financial requirements – we manage all the legal and financial requirements with the Charity Commission and Companies House, including the annual audit for the annual report and accounts.
- Tax effective – if you are a UK tax payer then Gift Aid allows 25% to be added to your donation. Additionally, higher rate tax payers can benefit from extra incentives.
- Meet with other donors – we arrange gatherings throughout the year in order for our donors to meet fellow philanthropists and be inspired and motivated by what else is happening across the county.
- Be at the cutting edge of local needs – we award hundreds of grants to local groups every year, but there are many we unable to help due to lack of funds. By working with us you can be assured to always be aware of the most pressing and urgent local needs, which includes being aware of the latest local data and receiving the first copies of our Surrey Uncovered reports.
- Enjoy your giving – our team works hard to take care of the burdens and administrative processes associated with grant-making. This allows you to focus on the part you enjoy most – supporting life changing local projects!
- Opportunity to give collectively – as well as our bespoke fund service for donors, we also have a range of collective funds which allow donors to combine their giving with others towards one common goal. Whether it’s the Surrey Mental Health Fund, the Elmbridge Philanthropy Fund, Surrey Sports Fund or one of many other themes or locations, there is a collective opportunity for everyone to give!