Eligibility Criteria for Groups
The aim of the Community Foundation for Surrey is to award grants to community and voluntary groups that make a genuine difference to the lives of people in Surrey.
Who we support
- Registered charities working for the benefit of people in Surrey
- Voluntary and community groups which are charitable in purpose and are working for the benefit of people in Surrey
- Not for profit organisations such as CIC with a clear social purpose working for the benefit of people in Surrey – such organisations can generate surpluses but where they do they are reinvested to support the charitable work of the organisation.
- We can support national charities which have a clear local presence, for projects helping people in Surrey.
- Faith groups – where the project clearly benefits the wider community.
- Statutory organisations (Councils, Parish councils and schools) can apply for funding local community initiatives which are over and above their normal statutory responsibilities and where they are working in partnership with local communities
To be eligible you should have;
- A management committee (the people who are responsible and make decisions) of a minimum of three unrelated people
- A signed constitution (or set of rules)
- A bank account in the name of your group which requires two signatories / dual authorisation.
- A financial policy (a document which lays out how you manage money and payments) Guidance can be found on the Charity Commission website https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/internal-financial-controls-for-charities-cc8/internal-financial-controls-for-charities
- If you work with children, young people or vulnerable adults you must have a safeguarding policy. Guidance can be found on the Charity Commission website. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/safeguarding-duties-for-charity-trustees
Small and new groups which are not constituted may apply under the umbrella of another group which will act as a fund holder for the grant.
Where there are possible external requirements such as planning permission, please ensure that you have checked whether planning permission is needed prior to submitting the application and if planning permission is needed, that you have commenced the process of obtaining permission.
Conditions of Grant
Any grant award is made with the following conditions:
- If the project/activity changes in any way from the original application, the Community Foundation for Surrey will be notified immediately. Significant variations may result in the grant being altered or withdrawn.
- An End of Grant Form will be completed and returned to the Community Foundation for Surrey.
- A copy of your organisation’s annual accounts for the period will be provided to the Community Foundation and these will clearly show the grant award from the Community Foundation for Surrey.
- Funding locally based community/voluntary groups who have a clear understanding of the needs of their community and are making a real difference
- Supporting organisations which self-evaluate to ensure their projects are making a difference
- Funding to support changes that improve the quality of people’s lives
- Building community capacity and empowering local communities
What kind of projects can we fund?
We can make grants to support most types of community activity depending on the range of funds available.
- Core costs / essential running costs
- Revenue costs
- Capital costs
- New projects
- Existing projects
- One-off initiatives
We cannot support:
- For profit businesses
- National programmes without a specific benefit to Surrey
- Faith groups where the project is exclusively for the benefit of members or for proselytising
- Schools, unless; the project substantially benefits the wider community; the school solely caters for special educational needs (excluding Statutory obligations)
- Projects that are based outside of Surrey
- Projects which have already taken place or items purchased prior to or during a grant application
- Unspecified expenditure for general appeals or fund-raising events/activities
- Core costs for CICs
- CIC limited by Shares
- Requests to build reserves
- Funding for Statutory obligations
- Political activities
Guidance notes for Individuals
Our Surrey Young People’s Fund awards grants to individuals. We recommend you read through the fund Guidance notes before submitting an Expression of Interest. Use the link below to download the eligibility criteria for our fund supporting individuals.
Expression of Interest Form
If you have more than project you need to fund or don’t know how to proceed please call the grants team on 01483 478092 for an informal chat.
Please note that we do not award retrospective grants – be sure to allow plenty of time to go through the grants process. For groups applying we would recommend you allow a minimum of 3 months. The process for individuals can be turned around quicker but please do still allow plenty of time, the process can take up to 2 months.